Intro

HOME . . . . . ATTORNEY PROFILE . . . . . SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION . . . . . CONTACT US

Most entries below contain actual legal discussions of events directly related to Filipinos in or immigrating to the United States.
Remember- These writings are provided for general information only and do not constitute legal advice, nor do they create any attorney-client relationship. Each person's needs and requirements are different and require a personal evaluation to determine the proper legal course of action.

Friday, April 3, 2015

USCIS H-4 EAD Filing Instructions


5/22/15 UPDATE:  The text below is now also included in the 12-page I-765 Instruction Booklet, located at http://www.uscis.gov/i-765.


I normally only post original writings, but for this I will make an exception. 

Below are the USCIS H-4 EAD filing instructions that will later appear in, “Instructions for I-765, Application for Employment Authorization”.

Although USCIS has not formally published these instructions or the new I-765 to be used for H4 EADs, in a few weeks those items will be found at www.uscis.gov/i-765.

Excerpt from future I-765 Instructions for H-4 EAD:

G. Spouse of an H-1B Nonimmigrant--(c)(26). File Form I-765 along with documentation of your current H-4 admission or extension of stay.  You must also submit documentation establishing either that the H-1B principal has an approved Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker (Form I-140), or that your current H-4 admission or extension of stay was approved pursuant to the principal H-1B nonimmigrant’s admission or extension of stay based on sections 106(a) and (b) of the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-First Century Act (AC21).  For your convenience, you may file Form I-765 with Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status.  However, USCIS will not process Form I-765 (except filing fees), until after USCIS has adjudicated your Form I-539.  You may also file Form I-765 at the same time as Form I-539 and Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker.  The 90-day period for adjudicating Applications for Employment Authorization filed together with Form I-539 does not begin until USCIS has determined whether you are eligible for the underlying H-4 nonimmigrant status.  Please see the USCIS Web site at www.uscis.gov/I-765 for the most current information on where to file this benefit request. 

1. Proof of Your Status.  You must submit a copy of your current Form I-797 approval notice for Form I-539 or Form I-94 showing your admission as an H-4 nonimmigrant or your most recent approved extension of stay; and 

2.  Proof of Relationship to the Principal H-1B.  You must submit a copy of the marriage certificate for you and the principal H-1B nonimmigrant. 

3.  Basis for Work Authorization.  Acceptable documentation includes: 

a. Approved Form I-140.  Submit evidence that the H-1B principal is the beneficiary of an approved Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker (Form I-140).  You may show this by submitting a copy of the H-1B principal’s Form I-797 approval notice for Form I-140; or 

b. H-1B Principal Received AC21 106(a) and (b) Extension.  Submit evidence that the principal H-1B nonimmigrant has received an extension of stay under AC21 106(a) and (b). You may show this by submitting copies of the H-1B principal’s passports, prior Forms I-94, and current and prior Forms I-797 for Form I-129.  In addition, please submit evidence to establish one of the following bases for the H-1B extension of stay: 

Based on Filing of a Permanent Labor Certification Application.  Submit evidence that the H-1B principal is the beneficiary of a Permanent Labor Certification Application that was filed at least 365 days prior to the expiration of the six-year limitation of stay.  You may show this by submitting a copy of a print out from the Department of Labor’s (DOL’s) Web site or other correspondence from DOL showing the status of the H-1B principal’s Permanent Labor Certification Application. If DOL certified the Permanent Labor Certification, you must also submit a copy of Form I-797 Notice of Receipt for Form I-140 establishing that the Form I-140 was filed within 180 days of DOL certifying the Permanent Labor Certification; or 

Based on a Pending Form I-140.  If the preference category sought for the principal H-1B spouse does not require a Permanent Labor Certification Application with DOL, submit evidence that the H-1B principal’s Form I-140 was filed at least 365 days prior to the expiration of the six-year limitation of stay and remains pending. You may show this by submitting a copy of the Form I-797 Notice of Receipt for Form I-140. 

c.  Examples of Secondary Evidence.  If you do not have any evidence relating to the H-1B principal as requested in a or b above, you may ask USCIS to consider secondary evidence in support of your application for work authorization as an H-4 spouse.  For example, such information may include the receipt number of the H-1B principal’s most current Form I-129 extension of stay or the receipt number of the H-1B principal’s approved Form I-140 petition.  Failure to provide this information about the H-1B principal may result in a delay in the adjudication or denial of your application for employment authorization.

See our US$60 Attorney Consultation Offer

Go to the Most Recent Immigration Topics 

View Qualifications of Attorney James W. Austin

Go To Austin & Ferguson, LLC Home Page
+